Members Area

GCA Medals: Medal of Honor

 Previous   Next 

The Medal of Honor is awarded for outstanding service to horticulture.

History: The medal was designed in 1920 by sculptor John Flanagan who also designed the U.S. quarter dollar coin, first issued in 1932. The Medal of Honor was endowed in 1963 by the Bedford (New York) Garden Club in memory of their member, Mrs. Arthur Marvin Anderson. 

Previous winners include Henry Francis DuPont (1956), Judith D. Zuk (2000), and P. Allen Smith (2006).

Selection: The decision of the Awards Committee must be approved by the Executive Board.

Award description on the certificate: for outstanding service to horticulture

 

See Winners